Friday, October 5, 2007

Reflections - Baths, Baptisms, Blessings

I realized just recently how special anything can be, when you take time to reflect.

We recently rushed home to Rock Hill two weekends in a row and the whole episode seemed to flash by us. Then this week, time stood still as the baby was sick for the first time, as he cut teeth for the first time, and as Emma Grace was sick for the first time that she didn't need extreme respiratory treatments. And today, I thought what blessing...That a bath can lower a baby's fever and elevate some of their misery, that a bath can sooth a sick 3 year old just simply because it's one on one and you washed their back. And I thought, how cleansing water is, and I realized that there were missed blessings while we were in Rock Hill as we got to see two of our friend's children be baptized -- immersed in good old Rock Hill water to be cleansed in the outward expression of faith, in trust in Christ, IN BELIEVER'S BAPTISM. The first Sunday we were home, we got to watch Amanda and Wes's oldest child be baptized - so cool to see a 10 year old with a heart of pure love for the Lord be willing to announce his faith so publicly. The last Sunday we were home, we got to watch Evans and Cindy's youngest child be baptized by her dad - so awesome to sit next to Cindy as her youngest proclaimed her love for the Lord as her daddy "dunked" her, his favorite red-headed child (his only red-headed child). =) And I don't know, today was the day to stop and be thankful - that my kids are healing, that other believer's children are coming to know Our Heavenly Father, that even such a simple compound like water can be so precious and remind us all of Jesus. And did I mention that here in Georgia, we need water, and lots of it? Really, pray for rain, we live near Lake Allatoona, which has become less than a "crick" after this drought...pray for God's healing and cleansing rain -- literally and spiritually, too...and smile, even in the rain. Who knows, I may go sing in the rain later...

4 comments:

Chris Whisonant said...

I'm glad our kids are getting better... Thankfully we caught OT's ear infection before it was one. It was awesome to see the baptisms the past couple of weeks!

Here's a pic of Lake Allatoona near our house... The white things at the treeline are docks that were sitting in water earlier this summer.

Rick & Cindy Shideler said...

Wow. Thanks. Prayers go out to you and the kiddos to feel better. And thanks for the "reflection,". Tool cool how God works.

Anonymous said...

glad the gang is healing!
-cindy

Unknown said...

Jen, your blog really blessed me today. Thanks so much. I have a picture of my own father baptising me when I was 11 and now that he is gone home to be with his Lord, I cherish it even more.