Thursday, May 22, 2008

Thoughtful Thursday

So, I've been reading about the reign of King Solomon and reading the Proverbs -- and oddly enough, the youth leaders here have been talking to the high schoolers about wisdom and making good decisions using Proverbs. I couldn't help but thank God that I had His Word already in my heart and mind -- and think about it -- God called King David a man after His own heart - yet David screwed up so many times like we all do - I know I feel like I do my fair share of messing up what God has given me, entrusted to me! After all, Solomon, his son - the wisest King - was a child of his marriage to Bathsheba - which we all know that story!!! (If not look up Uriah, the Hittite in 2 Samuel 11 and see who his wife was before he was killed.) So, it blows me away that when God spoke to Solomon in his dreams that He told Solomon to ask Him for anything and it would be his --- and Solomon chose wisdom - and so God gave him wisdom and everything else! Do you think his father David had an impact on that decision? David was called by God, a man after his own heart, but he always followed his heart even to his own detriment, but God loved him so in spite of his mess ups because he always repented and was broken when he had done wrong. King David was passionate about life and everything in it and God. And Solomon must have watched how his dad lived his life that he chose wisdom of everything God could give him. Isn't that awesome? Shouldn't we all want wisdom? Proverbs chapter 4, verse 7, says, "Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding." (Thanks for sharing Jimmy and Mel!) Your kids, kids in your life, they are watching, Do you choose wisdom? I want to so desperately --- not being wise in my own eyes - that's folly --- but really having wisdom sent down from God - Thank you, Lord...

Today, I'm thankful...

For God's Word living and breathing...
For mommies that share their newborn's love with others...
For young people that like to laugh...
For new friends from an awesome God...
For new awe in my life everyday from God's hand...
For little boys that like to play in toilets...
For little girls that hug so tight you can't breathe...
For hubbys that don't mind staying home with the kids...
For family...

Thanks for all your support and prayers for my mom - after a couple of tough weeks, she is getting better and better. Watch out Walmart and the Dollar Store. She goes for chemo every Friday, but goes again for triple dose chemo next Friday, so be praying her through. Last time the triple knocked her down - pray for God to be lifting her up beyond it all! Pray and pray. We love you all! God is good - His mercies are new each day!

1 comment:

Rick & Cindy Shideler said...

Jen,
I really enjoy your posts, especially when you share what God has laid on your heart in your study times. I am preparing to teach a Sunday School class of about 8-10 middle schoolers and am going to embark on a 13 week study on the book of Proverbs. My favorite book of the Bible. Have a blessed Memorial day!!