Monday, March 10, 2008

"Oh I'm a wanderer...

I go around-around-around-around..." yeah that's a tune I'm singing in my head as this morning - I had one of those here's what you should have learned from your quiet time you stubborn girl moments.

So, we've been - I've been wrestling with joining KFBC - check previous post on that one. =) And it has been a long time in coming - I've been really rolling around in it since January...

So here's the what you should have learned part...I started reading the Daily Bible - a chronological Bible reading plan with my women's small group at home which gets you through the Bible in a year --- you have passages to read for each given day and it seems like I am never on that given day...

So, most of January, February, March, I've been reading about Moses and the Law and the wandering in the desert - just struggling to hang onto some of these texts, but there was always a fresh word for me when I made it through...

So, last night after having joined KFBC Sunday morning, I read the last passages from the book of Deuteronomy. The Lord speaks to Moses and to Joshua as the leadership of Israel passes from Moses and the wandering is ended, the Law is re-iterated, the covenant renewed and the Israelites are about to enter the Promised Land...bedtime boring, right?

Well, it took me until this morning to recognize the parallel in my own life...yes, I am a slow learner - thank God He is patient with my soul. I've been hanging onto what is was that God called me to do last that I almost missed living for Him now - I've been serving the Lord and using my gifts and going to church, but all with a sense of it being temporary...Don't you think that maybe that's how the Israelites totally lived everyday? Just wrestling and wandering and missing how good God is in every moment because they were a "stiff necked" people as Moses called them...I know I can be as "stiff necked" as they come sometimes. And this morning brought clarity and freshness -- and it was that DUH, Jen moment - like God was saying - do you see - transfer it all over and live here now and be for me now...really live in this moment not in limbo.

So, duh-huh, I gots-it. Again, God is so cool like that.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Thank you for jumping on the ball and reaching out to Nancy. I think it is too cool that God uses the internet and crazy, busy mommies to spread His word!

GE is me said...

Jen, how in the world do you find time to do your devotionals/bible reading? I feel like since I had the girls, they are totally my ministry. Even church isn't the same. My distraction level/attention level is gone. About the only devotions I seem to have been able to do is the "Our daily bread" devotional. Well, we do have a weekly small group that I faithfully go to; but other than that forget about it.
-Gail

Jen Whisonant said...

@Gail - do not be impressed with me - I'm ever and only impressed with what God keeps doing in me - I truly fall short in my time with God daily - and when I do sit with Him it is a fight for me to still my mind so that He can still my soul. I've learned from a good friend that housework can wait and "me" time can wait until after my quiet time...really, the days that I don't have it are harder...start small and slow but be relentless - He speaks through His word!!! I had an interim pastor challenge me to read one chapter of proverbs a day for a month - it's a great kick-start!

Anonymous said...

Check out the song "Monuments" by Legacy Five. It is all about Joshua and his entrance into the Promised Land