Thursday, April 17, 2008

Have you ever read the Bible in chronological order?

It is really an experience...now, I'm not saying that it is easy...not by any means. It has been tough at times, but I am so glad that my women's small group back in SC included me in on it! Right now we are reading through - chronologically - of course - the life of King David. I must say for the first time I am mostly ahead of the reading schedule. I love reading about David, who screwed things up a lot and who was afflicted a lot, but still who God called a man after His own heart. I so desperately want to follow after God's own heart -- less of me, more of Him. Some days I still cannot believe that God knit me together in my mother's womb, that He knows the number of hairs on my head, that I am one of miracles! And if you'd have seen the day I had yesterday...you would wonder why I would say that (if you didn't know the Lord)! Yesterday I certainly didn't feel like miracle status...it was a tough staying at home raising kids day. UGH. I was ready to list the kids on ebay or craig's list or give them to the church to raise (that happened in the Old Testament, why not now?). I felt like an utter failure as a mommy yesterday. But God always teaches me something through those days, too. And after hanging out with the youth last night (without the fidgets) and watching Louie Giglio's talk (again) on "Indescribable" - I came back to how big God is and how small I am - and how much I needed to remember that - and then last night I had to go back and read the song of David in Psalm 30 -

Psalm 30

A psalm. A song. For the dedication of the temple. Of David.
1 I will exalt you, O LORD,
for you lifted me out of the depths
and did not let my enemies gloat over me.

2 O LORD my God, I called to you for help
and you healed me.

3 O LORD, you brought me up from the grave ;
you spared me from going down into the pit.

4 Sing to the LORD, you saints of his;
praise his holy name.

5 For his anger lasts only a moment,
but his favor lasts a lifetime;
weeping may remain for a night,
but rejoicing comes in the morning.

6 When I felt secure, I said,
"I will never be shaken."

7 O LORD, when you favored me,
you made my mountain stand firm;
but when you hid your face,
I was dismayed.

8 To you, O LORD, I called;
to the Lord I cried for mercy:

9 "What gain is there in my destruction,
in my going down into the pit?
Will the dust praise you?
Will it proclaim your faithfulness?

10 Hear, O LORD, and be merciful to me;
O LORD, be my help."

11 You turned my wailing into dancing;
you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,

12 that my heart may sing to you and not be silent.
O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever.

And I just had to thank God (again) for how BIG He is and how small I am - and how mighty He is and how weak I am - and that He loved me so much that He sent His only son, Jesus, to save me. That He's here when I fail and He's here when I succeed...That He's here in the weeping and wailing and in the dancing and praising. He's God...Thank you God, you are God. And I know how much God has done for me and my family and I stand in awe. I am still awestruck that my mom is already back at work full time. Pray for us that the ONCO testing may be expedited, so that we can get on with the gettin' on and tackle the next leg of the race for her. Pray for our hearts and minds and spirits for new strength each day. And remember to be thankful every day for the Maker who gives you each new day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that my God knew me even before I was born, but that number of hairs on the head comment just reminds me that my number is gettng smaller and smaller every day. I'm sure He has more trouble keeping up with my hair color than He does the number!!