Monday, April 28, 2008

Yeah, it's a QWERTY type blog...

You know like on VeggieTales when QWERTY comes out and we sing the so what we've learned today song? We went home to Rock Hill this weekend to spend time with family and to love on my folks before momma starts chemo and I got to rattling around in my head and my heart and my soul. Dangerous, right? I could get hurt in there! But, I couldn't help but remember that my friend Jen keeps telling me and praying for me that I'll dwell on things that are "TRUE."

Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."

And see that's the best part about reading God's Word and needing His Word everyday because when you need to "think about such things" -- you have His Word. And my mind keep going back to the reading I've been doing almost daily in that dear old chronological Bible. And the phrase "Be strong and courageous." just kept coming to mind all weekend. And as I was leaving, mom and I had both teared up and I just held onto her and told her to be strong and courageous - that she already was. God knows how much and how much He can fill us all when we just ask Him with a pure heart. So, when I got home I had to find all those "be strong and courageous-es"

Deuteronomy 31 - Joshua to Succeed Moses

1 Then Moses went out and spoke these words to all Israel

6 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

7 Then Moses summoned Joshua and said to him in the presence of all Israel, "Be strong and courageous, for you must go with this people into the land that the LORD swore to their forefathers to give them, and you must divide it among them as their inheritance. 8 The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."

23 The LORD gave this command to Joshua son of Nun: "Be strong and courageous, for you will bring the Israelites into the land I promised them on oath, and I myself will be with you."

Joshua 1 - The LORD Commands Joshua

1 After the death of Moses the servant of the LORD, the LORD said to Joshua son of Nun…

6 "Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them. 7 Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. 8 Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

1 Chronicles 22 - Preparations for the Temple – Directions spoken by David

13 Then you will have success if you are careful to observe the decrees and laws that the LORD gave Moses for Israel. Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged.

1 Chronicles 28 - David's Plans for the Temple

20 David also said to Solomon his son, "Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you...

Moses spoke them to Israel then to Joshua. The Lord spoke them to Joshua. David spoke them to Israel to his son. And these are just the ones that a quick search could find in the NIV. And I had to hold onto those words, "Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you..."

OH, and did I mention that my dear friend, Jen was home, too? And that we got to sing next to each other with our old praise band? And that we sang to the Lord? And that we all praised God? Yeah, God gives precious gifts to us daily even when we aren't willing recipients. And when I got home all the Irises in our back yard had busted wide open in beautiful whites and yellows and purples. Thank you God for the rain and the blossoms! Remember to thank God today - whatever the circumstance...As a dear friend shared with me from her heart, whatever God places in your life, He has entrusted it to you.

Jeremiah 29 says,

11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

2 comments:

GE is me said...

Jen, I like QWERTY- okay the girls & I like us some veggies too. :) Been praying for you & your mom & the rest of the family. It is true- "BE STRONG & COURAGEOUS." It is so hard when someone we love is dealing with the uncertainty of cancer. The only thing that makes it even remotely easy is our faith in God. Thanks for the encouragement.
Hope you enjoy your time w/Jen.
God Bless, -Gail

jennifer j said...

Jen, since you're musical, I'll share this chant with you. Maybe you can come up with the right tune for it. (Keep in mind, this is normally sung by boys and men who are "roughing it" in the Boys' Brigade -- kinda like Christian Boy Scouts) :
"Have I not commaded you be strong & courageous?
Have I not commanded you be strong & courageous?
Do not be terrified
Do not be dismayed
For the Lord, your God
will go with you
where ever
where ever
where ever you may go o o o
Joshua, Joshua, Joshua
One verse nine
Hey! Hey! Hey!

Maybe Jason can sing it for you next time you're at FBC FM