Saturday, June 14, 2008

Battles of other proportions...

First, congrats grads! Yay for you, class of 2008!

Now, for the Hillarity/millworthiness of it all! I picked this up on our friend's blog, after hearing about these events from friends at home. This is crazy, true and hilarious, but I guess, necessary.

Here's the story in the Fort Mill Times.

And from one perspective, I can see how it came to this. My husband, brother-in-law and I all graduated from Northwestern High School in Rock Hill 2 years apart and the ceremony was at the Winthrop Coliseum. I promise from Chris's grad in 1996 to mine in 1998 to his brother's in 2000 -- things got progressively out of control during the ceremonies. Kids/adults/attenders of all sorts became increasingly disrespectful of the event to the point of booing, shouting, bringing in "drinks" and even air horns. SO, I guess that the school board had had enough and enough complaints from those of us that were civilized people that they had to do something different. I applaud the effort...Rules become rules because some people just don't have any good sense whatsoever...I just don't know if the punishment fits the crime --- I would much rather these folks be charged in terms of community service by a family court judge. Let them pressure wash the high school they offended or paint white lines in the bus parking lots on a Carolina summer day...But that's just my opinion and we all know that opinions are like belly buttons; we all have one and they really aren't good for much.

4 comments:

Paul Shealy said...

Ah yes, I remember the "fun" at our graduation. And I agree with you that something needs to be done, but arresting them seems excessive.

Why is it that we're known for our crazy news stories but not much else? First it was tasering an old lady at a nursing home, then it was arresting a boy for opening his Christmas presents early, and now this. Sigh.

GE is me said...

Jen, Oh, my goodness, I didn't read the story link yet. I had to comment on a couple of other things first. Your last line about belly buttons & opinions- had never heard it that way before. I've heard opinions are like ***holes, we all have one & most of them stink! I like yours though, not as crass as mine.
You make me feel really old, oh wait I am really old, okay well, I am 15 years older than you- that makes you the same age as my nephew! (not the one with cancer, his older brother)
God Bless, -Gail

GE is me said...

Okay, so I went & read Rick & Cindy's blog & read the newspaper article. Now I can comment about the true post. I usher at Providence Performing Arts Center. At the end of the season they hold graduations from around RI. When I graduated I never remembered people using air horns so the first time I heard it last year I was a bit appalled. This year I actually had someone come up to me as I was sitting next to one of the bar areas & ask me if they were serving any wine! Yes, wine! Thankfully the bar was closed. But again I was appalled. I understand the juxtaposition of this situation. And I certainly agree with your idea of punishment. It will be interesting to see the outcome of this.
-Gail

Anonymous said...

Have no fear Chris & Jen, I'm sure private school graduations will be very tame for Emma and OT... Or maybe not... After you've paid all that money you might feel the need to dance and scream naked.