Saturday, June 7, 2008

Pray during the toiling...

Mom is having a bad weekend, again - pray with me for her and daddy. They were at the hospital yesterday trying to build her back up -- but today seems to be no better. Pray for comfort and rest and health for them both. I cannot help but be reminded of the apostle Paul and just how much he poured his life out for Christ and the church and how afflicted he always felt by his own flesh. But I love that --- that even in his own frail human exhaustion, he knew there was more to this life than living and dying and he battled on. I hope the passage below from the NIV brings something to your heart today --- today, yesterday and probably tomorrow, I'll be dwelling on the final verse, Colossians 1:29 ---
"To this end I labor, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me."

I know we all struggle and I know my folks are struggling today and will be tomorrow and until chemo is done for momma --- but how encouraging is God's Word! We might be under excruciating circumstances -- but we can "labor, struggling with all HIS energy, which so powerfully works in me." How grateful I am that God's Word is living and breathing - waiting to fill us up when we would rest a moment to sit at His feet. How grateful, other wise, I don't know if any of us could stand under the excruciating.

Paul's Labor for the Church - Colossians Chapter One
24Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church. 25I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness— 26the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the saints. 27To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

28We proclaim him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. 29To this end I labor, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me.

1 comment:

Rick & Cindy Shideler said...

Praying for mom. God will pull you (and her) through. :-)