Friday, December 21, 2007

On the ninth day...

On the ninth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me nine timeouts standing, eight whiffs o'gas, seven 'ssemblies a-swayin', six parties waiting, fiiiiiive rubber bouggies, four winds a'whipping, three trips to church, two whiny kids and a house outside the city.

What is it about Christmas time that causes children to lose their minds and us our faculties? My kids have been exceeding "nuts" requiring a minimum of nine timeouts/corrections per day per kid as the magic hour approaches. It's like a standing deal that there will be a minimum of nine timeouts in a day. Emma Grace has realized that we are getting Christmas gifts in the mail and has also realized that baby brother cannot open them. So, double fun for her, but then she must think that possession in 9/10's of the law because she will then hog, block, and push (ever so gently, mind you) her brother away from her toys as well as his. I have had it up to wherever it is you have it up to --- honestly! Everyone is getting presents - share for goodness sakes! But, here I must confess that being an only child I really never had to deal with this at all plus, my childhood friends will tell you I was stingy anyways...so the child is cursed, go genetics, and really for 4 years, she never really had to share anything for more than a few hours at a time ever...it's yet another rude awakening that the kid must endure/suffer through on the road to growing up with a little brother after being the first child of ours and first grandchild of both of her sets of grandparents. And Ollie is just being a baby, but a very big and strong, and strong-willed, mobile baby. He has already at 9 months gotten attitude adjustments - I do not believe anyone that says babies do not know better...yeah, I say no in my mommy voice repeatedly and he stops, only for a moment mind you to make eye contact and then, yanks the lamp cord anyhow...right, he doesn't understand. uh-huh.

So, I'm thankful for having my hands full raising my two wonders - after all, I get to stay at home with them and raise them myself - Lord help me (and He really does - everyone is still alive in our house) - it's a luxury that wasn't afforded to my mom or my mother-in-law - one that comes with a pretty high price - but I'm grateful for the chance - you only get one chance to raise your kids right, that's what we're hoping and praying we're doing. And if it's my full time and all the time job for the next 15 years or so that's okay, just save me a room on Bull Street, I will need it by then if I haven't already checked in with my lovely white coat that ties in the back...

No comments: